volunteer opportunities for individualsvolunteer opportunities for groupsinternshipsvolunteer stories
SMH serves a hot, nutritious lunch everyday at noon.
SMH offers programs that have been created to meet an articulated need and to assist women to move forward in their lives.
St. Margaret's House creates a space for women to come together to help and support one another.
We meet the immediate needs of women and children by providing:
A hot, nutritious lunch served everyday at noon and a continental breakfast from 10-11 am.
Use of a private, handicapped shower.
• Laundry Facilities
• Computer Access
• Access to clothing and small household items
• Case Management:
Individualized case management and help with accessing other social service agencies. As part of the Community Access Network (CAN), St. Margaret’s House works with other social service agencies to help our guests through a single database and case management model. The staff helps women formulate plans of action by providing case management that reinforces the positives as well as deals with the negatives in their lives.
We provide programs to help women gain the tools and information they need to improve the quality of their lives.
All programs at St. Margaret's House are designed to help women take their next best step forward and to acquire the tools to define themselves by their gifts and talents rather than their problems. Some activities such as the lunch and health education programs help everyone who comes through SMH doors. Other programs have been designed for specific groups: parents and grandparents raising children or women attempting to enter the work force or finish their education. Every program has been created to meet an articulated need and to assist women to move forward in their lives.
read more »
- » Part 1, A Child's Place in the Family focuses on basic parenting knowledge of child development, active listening, stress reduction and using discipline to teach rather than punish.
- » Part 2, A Child's Place in the Family, Challenges and Opportunities is dedicated to parenting two through twelve-year-olds. Active listening is reviewed and the principles of positive affirmation, logical consequences, disciplining with love and time-out versus spanking are taught.
- » Part 3, Parenting Teens, was initiated as a result of special requests by the mothers. This segment explores the challenges of raising teens.
- » Part 4, Building Self-Esteem in Your Child, helps mothers encourage and help their children to discover their best and strongest selves.
- » Part 5, Parenting from the Inside Out, explores how the experiences of the mother affect the way she parents and helps her to be more conscious about the way she treats her chi
Individual Self-Empowerment Programs
Financial Solvency and Economic Stability
Health and Educational Programs
Programs That Treat the Whole Person
St. Margaret's House creates a space for women to come together to help and support one another. We believe that each woman is talented and gifted and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Members of this community gain ownership by helping with daily chores and by participating in monthly forums that discuss and set policy. Women and girls of all ages and boys under 13 are always welcome as long as they are not under the influence of drugs and alcohol and are not abusive to others at St. Margaret's House.